The sculpture of St. Michael, part of the Deesis relief, was installed. We are so fortunate to have creative & skilled artists in our community. Oleh Lesiuk, we are grateful for your creative work to beautify our church.

A quote from Pope Paul VI (1965) rings true today:

“This world in which we live needs beauty in order not to sink into despair. It is beauty, like truth, which brings joy to the heart of man and is that precious fruit which resists the wear and tear of time, which unites generations and makes them share things in admiration.

Kost ‘ Markovych from  Lviv, returned in January to complete the next phase, the other front right corner.

The next phase of Iconography is now complete. Two large icons depict the feasts of Christmas & Theophany (Jesus’ baptism). During the autumn months .

IN THE LORD’S SERVICE

About Our Pastor

Father Michael

With the blessing of Bishop Isidore Borecky of Toronto Fr. Michael was ordained in 1988 in the underground Church of Ukraine by Metropolitan Volodymyr Sterniuk and Bishop Pavlo Vasylyk.

His first pastoral assignment was as associate pastor of St. George’s Ukr. Catholic Church in Oshawa (1988-2001). During that time he also worked as a high school chaplain for the Durham Catholic School Board. In 1998, together with a group of parents and clergy, he founded the eparchial “Break for Jesus” catechetical camp at Mt. Mary in Ancaster. In 2001 Bishop Cornelius invited the Lozas to investigate the potential for a new parish community along the Oakville Mississauga border. He was subsequently appointed to the small, but active parish of St. Joseph’s in Oakville. Through the sacrifice, generosity, hard work and dedication of many parishioners, the community outgrew its existing church property and accepted the challenge to build a new church and parish centre to serve the spiritual needs of future generations.     
His wife Oksana has been a tremendous pastoral partner and an integral part of the parish’s leadership team.

IN THE LORD’S SERVICE

About Father Boris

Fr. Boris Hemon

IN THE LORD’S SERVICE

About Father Mykola

Fr. Mykola Barna

History & Archives

BEGINNINGS

Parish History

St. Joseph’s was founded in 1956. The first Liturgy was celebrated by Fr. Gregory Shushkewych on Ukrainian Christmas (January 7, 1956) at St. Andrew’s Roman Catholic Church in downtown Oakville. In the early years this small mission parish was served by the Redemptorist Fathers from their seminary in Meadowvale. In 1964 a 1-acre parcel of land was purchased on Maple Grove Dr.

St. Joseph’s was founded in 1956.

1 Acre of land was purchased on Maplegrove Drive, Oakville in 1964

We invite you to our gallery of early celebrations, prepared by Steve Dacko.

Pioneer families & senior parishioners celebrating 45 years on Maplegrove Drive.

October 23rd, 2016

St. Joseph's Ukrainian Catholic Church celebrated it's

60th Anniversary Jubilee with a special

Liturgy & Banquet.